Thursday, May 19, 2011

National Gallery and the West End

Went to the National Gallery yesterday, which was really exciting. We couldn't take pictures inside so I don't really have anything to show you. I finally got to see a few paintings in real life that I really wanted to see. I say Constables, The Hay Wain, a bunch of Turner's and Renoir's and Dega's plus Caravaggio's, The Supper at Emmas, which was beautiful and amazing.

I never really liked Caravaggio's work until I started taking art history classes, now I'm a total fan. His use of light and shadow is so beautiful.

After our time at the National Gallery I went to the West End to get a ticket to see Billy Elliot that evening. Wicked was on right across the street so I walked over there to see how much tickets were and ended up going to the matinee. So yesterday I went to two plays and they were both really good, although I liked Billy Elliot the best.

At Wicked I sat next to some people from Utah, how crazy is that? One of the girls in the group is friends with one of the girls on the same study abroad as myself! Small, small world. Then at Billy Elliot I spoke with the nice couple sitting next to me. They were locals and we had a lot of fun chatting and they explained the slang to me. So over all, I had a lot of fun yesterday.

Today it looks like laundry, grocery shopping and a visit to the Victoria and Albert Museum right down the road. Might have some pictures of that later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment